Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Making of Visual FX for ST:TMP Part 2

When the great fanzine Enterprise Incidents went national, it became a slick magazine, which meant that it got color sections, but diversified the content to include other genre films and shows. Of course, the sometimes-amateurish layout belied its fanzine origins occasionally, but the articles were well-done and I enjoyed it as much as the more professional Starlog. Making the leap to an nationally-published magazine was a big step, and James Van Hise is to be commended for his efforts, as it enabled me to find it on the news-stands, which was hardly ever the case with the earlier zine, which was only available at specialty shops. I still missed the card-stock publication of earlier days, though, when it was devoted mostly to Trek.

This time we are opening issue #13, published in January of 1984. (View the cover here from an earlier post.)   The first part of this article was apparently in one of those earlier issues that I missed, but I have parts 2 and 3 to share with you. This is Part 2, and Part 3 is coming next week or so.

(Click on images to enlarge. Once open you may have to click on it again to view full-size.)







Bonus: Below, Shatner shows off one of the wrist-communicators used in ST:TMP.
"And this speed-dials any of the names of all the women in my little black book."

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Thanks for posting these! I look forward to the next one. :)

Patrick J said...

I find it ironic that Douglas Trumbull would have liked the Enterprise model from the movies to be bigger than it was (I think it was about six feet in length; the "Discovery" model from "2001" was, IIRC, about 20 feet long), while ILM's crew wished it were much smaller; they thought it was much too big.