Saturday, March 6, 2010

1972 ST Convention Report

In 1972, the first Trek convention was held in New York at the Statler-Hilton hotel from January 21st through the 23rd. (Here is a pre-con writeup in TMT #2, for other Trek-related items from this issue, go to previous posts on article #1 and article #2.) In the Sci-Fi Super TV Special from The Monster Times, printed in 1973, we have a two-page spread about the convention, posted below:
(Click on images to enlarge.)

Forget about ancient history; if I suddenly had access to a time-traveling DeLorean, I would put the pedal to the metal and head for this convention!



Bonus item #1: With the release of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," the was a flood of merchandising the likes of which had never been seen by fans before, and as far as items for one movie, I don't think has been equalled yet (except perhaps for the new '09 movie). It was a good time for fans who liked to collect memorabilia; even if some of it was a bit silly, like the Star Trek Adhesive Bandages, pictured below. I wish I could have removed all of the price label on the front, but I couldn't without further damaging the small box, about the size of a pack of gum. Below is a scan of the front and back of the container, with one of the bandages in the middle.


Yes, Star Trek: The Motion Picture could even make your boo-boos better. I paid only 50 cents for the box when I bought it new... today, the collectible value of this rare item is probably... 2 for a $1. A great investment.

Bonus #2: Below are scans (not photos) of the small metal Klingon Battlecruiser made by "Dinky." I bought it in 1979 and tried super-gluing it to a small necklace chain in order to hang it from my rearview mirror in my 1968 Cougar, but it kept falling off; you can see the glue residue on the top view. The ship is only 4 inches long from the bow to the ends of the engines.





9 comments:

Jay said...

Huzzah! Thanks for posting the band-aid images, sir! Who better to stick over your boo-boos than Dr. McCoy? I truly love the bizarre range of merchandise that was available in conjunction with Star Trek - The Motion Picture. If I could, I'd collect it all. I even have that Klingon battlecruiser! Dinky indeed!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Frederick. I'd love to time trek back to this granddaddy of conventions. Richard Arnold, who went on to work as assistant to Roddenberry, was there at about age 13, I think. He tells the story of meeting GR and thinking of him as merely the husband of Majel Barrett, only later realizing he was actually creator of the entire series!

Anonymous said...

My first convention visit was in October 1972 in Detroit, and Gene and Majel were there, along with Jimmy Doohan and David Gerrold. It cost something like $6 to attend the three days, and after my first encounter with a dealer's room, I thought I'd gone overboard dropping a whole $30 total on still photos, posters, fanzines, and an original ST Concordance (containing the first two seasons only, as I recall). Alas, I don't have a single thing left from that con, except for fond memories...

CMX

Frederick said...

CMX,

Thanks for sharing your memories of that convention! You are lucky that you got to go.

It is a goodthing that we can't time travel or the old conventions would be full of future fans!

Anonymous said...

I was 17 then, and I'm frankly surprised my folks let me get on a plane and go out of town for a con...but I'd already been to NYC on my own to meet some sci-fi writer-collector-historians to pick their brains, so I guess it wasn't all that scary.

CMX

Frederick said...

CMX,

I'm slack-jawed with not only envy but a lack of real understanding at you freedom and parent's support. I was still sneaking in my Trek stuff under my coat at that age!

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, you can now get a Klingon Battle Cruiser key chain now. Check eBay or Toys-r-Us.

Qapla!

Beth said...

I was there. What a thrill it was! In addition to all the Star Trek glory -- the impressive artworks, the amazing costume call, the blooper reel, the stars -- I was thrilled to hear Isaac Asimov speak, and I met Jacqueline Lichtenberg, who lived not far from me. I helped out one time with collating her Kraith zine -- my entry into fandom, via carbon paper, xerox and staples.

The only thing I have left from that Con was a Saurian Brandy bottle, complete with leather strap.

Frederick said...

Pixeille,
Thanks for the comment and the awesome memories! You are so lucky to have been able to actually be there. You were in on the ground floor, back when it was all fan-run, done for love of the show. I am sure ut was an exciting time for you.