Sunday, March 15, 2009

1980 Cheerios ST:TMP Cards



Another promotional tie-in with Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 1979-1980 was these cards, printed on the back of the boxes of Cheerios cereal. I didn't like Cheerios, but I choked down NINE boxes over a two-month period just to get these cards. I really hated it by the time they stopped running the promotion. One of the rules I lived under growing up was that I had to eat any cereal I bought before I got another box, to prevent me from buying it just for whatever freebie was in it. A good rule, but I couldn't eat enough to get the whole set, and it's probably a good thing.

Enjoy the partial set scanned in here; thanks to me you won't have to endure countless bowls of the stuff inside these boxes. Click on the images to view full-size, as always....











As an aside, however, I did stay pretty regular while I was collecting these...

2 comments:

John G7 said...

"I didn't like Cheerios, but I choked down NINE boxes over a two-month period just to get these cards." That's funny and I relate a hundred percent. To the question "What will you ever do with them?" which I'm sure was asked, finally the Internet has provided an answer. We just knew things like this would come in handy some day.

Frederick said...

John G7,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

It's true that the ability to blog like this has made my old collecting habit seem more reasonable now. Before, all the stuff in the scrapbooks and bookcases seemed a bit lonely as I was the only one seeing them. Now, I can share them and let others enjoy them also, and it's given the old collection new life and purpose!