Thursday, April 23, 2009

1977 Star Trek Stamp Packages

(Click images to view larger versions.)

In 1977, these Star Trek collector stamps came out... which I completely missed. I did manage to pick up these two empty stamp packages, though, about a decade later at a local comic book/used stuff store. Yes, I was that dedicated. They looked pretty cool, though, so I scanned them in, along with the back cover they all shared. And, it's neat that the stamps that were in each set are pictured on the covers, so we get to see what they looked like. Anyone out there have these stamps and the album?

Below, another of the brochures for the gorgeous Hamilton Star Trek plates that were issued in 1991 for the show's 25th Anniversary. Uhura looks especially beautiful in this painting.

9 comments:

chunky B said...

Those stamps are great, that's something they could bring back and would get a sure sale from me.

Jay said...

Ha! Hilarious! So many of George's line readings have gained an added dimension of fun since he came out. He's a colorful chap, that one.

Although I assume for the era of the picture, Sulu would have had the hot tub set to Vulcanian temperature ;)

I missed those stamps completely. Never saw them as a kid, and since only selling for a ridiculous amount of money in old New Eye Studio catalogs - where everything was way overpriced!

Frederick said...

Jay,


glad you liked it, more are on the way! And good call on the missed Vulcanian reference!

Yeah, when I saw these two packs in the bin at the comic store, I thought the stamps were in them. All for a dollar a pack, wow! My face fell when I saw they were only selling the empty package, but... I bought them anyway. They knew some sucker would by them, and sure enough, I did! :)

Jay said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Frederick, I think you got a good deal. Many times, the packaging something comes in is as colorful and interesting as the thing itself, but most people keep the thing and throw the packaging away. Which means sometiems the packaging is worth more than the thing it packaged. So in my book, that just makes you a smart investor. A smart investor with cool stuff.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

Howdy there!
I found your blog via my search for these stamps. I actually have packs #4 and #5, intact, in the original packaging (with the stamps in them), only the glue has failed. I'm looking to sell them and I was wondering if you or any of your readers would be interested. Please let me know if you are interested, and if you are, how would you like to get in touch?

Anonymous said...

I have the complete set of stamps 1 thru 6 all complete please email me andynet162000@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I have the whole set that your looking for. For sale

Anonymous said...

for sale offical star trek stamp album plus stamps 1 thru 6 and 1980 star trek the motion picture stardate calendar. get at me at destinygonzales94@yahoo.com