Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fantasy Film Journal article on ST:TMP


Nice little article on the plans for the first movie, from the summer of 1978 issue of Fantasy Film Journal magazine.

Bonus: Can you identify the toy item this remnant of the backing card (below) came from?

When I was a kid in the late 60's, I bought the toy (well, my mother paid for it) and I ripped off the backing, but managed to save just this little section of the card with the jaundiced-looking Spock on it. The toy is gone, but the scrap of cardboard remains in my (where else?) scrapbook. If you know or want to guess, leave a comment.

I was inspired to post this by the blog entry about the toy over on Daren Dochterman's blog, here: http://blog.darendoc.com/?p=11 Enjoy!


Occasionally, I will add to a short post a little extra by featuring another Star Trek trading card. First, I'll post cards from the 1976 Topps set that so many fans remember fondly. Eventually you will be able to see them all, them I'll move on to other cards sets that feature the original series crew.

5 comments:

Jay said...

The remnant - is it from one of those disc guns?

Jay said...

And I just bought that Topps trading card set on eBay a year or so back. I think I paid soemthing like a hundred bucks for that set!

Frederick said...

Jay,

You got it, the non-Star Trek-related disc shooter! And those Topps cards were an exciting set to buy one pack at a time as I did... I still have a lot of duplicates lying around!

Jay said...

I remember the good old days when you could get a pack of trading cards for a quarter. Sure, they were on cardboard and you got a stick of gum that could cut your cheeks, but still, pretty good for 25 cents. When I was in college, there was something of a trading card collecting boom that one of my friends invested heavily in, and I think the top of my head nearly came off when I found out he was paying 3 and 4 bucks per pack!

Frederick said...

Right, that's what happens when adult collectors cause a boom, the same thing happened in comics. That "boom" went "phhht" a few years back and almost killed the industry.

Poor kids get priced out of buying the simple things in life like we had.